Will my muscle turn to fat? Crossfit to Convict Conditioning

Home Page Forums We’re Working Out! Will my muscle turn to fat? Crossfit to Convict Conditioning

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    alycatart

I’ve been doing crossfit for one year. I’ve built plenty of muscle, but I’ve also held onto a lot more fat than I would’ve thought doing crossfit 4-5x a week. It helps lift heavy weights, but it’s not what my personal goals are aligned to

I want to start using the movements and programming suggestions from Convict Conditioning, but I’m having silly thoughts…like will my muscles turn to fat once I make the transition from Olympic lifting to body weight calisthenics ? CC has you start from a very base progression, will I actually gain weight before I start seeing any progress?

Robby Taylor

I doubt you will get chubby switching to calisthenics. The only way you’d gain fat though is if you just don’t go as intensely and end up burning fewer calories but keep eating the same. As long as you keep the intensity up you will probably get leaner. But there’s no reason you can’t lift and do calisthenics. There’s actually a thread about that that’s been active in the last day, you should check that out.

I have a friend who is an avid crossfitter but since training with me has added more advanced calisthenics to his training and, after training with me, sees real tangible benefits to his lifts. He sees it as a big advantage cuz most crossfitters don’t concern themselves with training for anything beyond muscle ups with huge kips.

I’d also suggest sprinting or some other form of intense cardio if fat loss is one of your primary goals.

alycatart

Thanks guy for putting my mind to ease.I did some research and that’s what I found as well, it’s the continued high intake of food that makes former lifters fat. *Sigh* I do need to be more mindful with my intake, I have a penchant for higher fat foods like avocados and almond butter.

I think I will look into working together a hybrid program that involves lighter weight Olympic lifts. I really like those types of lifts because they work so many more muscle groups at one time as opposed to isolated lifts like curls. I’m just done with trying to move a lot of weight, my thighs are looking like they belong to a bodbuilder,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.