Weight Loss before Strength and Mass gain?

Home Page Forums We’re Working Out! Weight Loss before Strength and Mass gain?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Narum

Ok, so I’m gonna start focusing purely on calisthenics now. I’ve been working out seriously for about 5 months, and I’ve lost about 15 kilos of fat (33lbs), while I’ve added quite a bit of muscle.

I still have some all around fat to lose, though. So I’m thinking it’s better to rid myself of that before going into the calisthenics routine.

I’m doing Focus T25 now, and I’m adding some progressive bodyweight excercises from Convict Conditioning, just to build a base.

I’m planning on using the Convict Conditioning 1&2 ideologies + C-mass in order to build strength and some mass.

So, my question is simple, I guess. Should I finish up T25 and rid myself of the excessive body fat? Or should I go into a calisthenics Routine?

I’ve done P90x3 as well, so I have a starting point (I can do 8-10 pull-ups, leg raises and 15 slow push-ups. I can’t do one legged squats, standing bridge or handstands though)

Robby Taylor

Either way man. Isn’t T25 mostly calisthenics with a resistance band thrown in here and there?

The cool thing about doing progressive calisthenics while you lose weight is that your body will be used to doing the exercises with the extra weight so you’ll be even stronger when you lose it.

Overall I’d say it’s probably a good idea to do both until you lose the weight, then you can cut back on T25. T25 relies on little to no rest intervals to get a good conditioning workout. This is great for burning calories, building endurance, losing weight, etc. But for building strength it’s best to recover longer for more recovery so you can continue with maximal strength.

Narum

Yeah. It’s mostly bodyweight exercises but with some added resistance training. I don’t use bands or manuals for the resistance training – I use bodyweight alternatives. 🙂

Convict Conditioning and c-mass recommends 3 days a week of heavy workout, in order to build mass. Does it work the same for strength as well, if I mix it up with focusing more on increased reps?

Robby Taylor

Actually strength training calls for a lower rep range than muscle building. Muscle building is like 6-12 reps a set but strength building is under 6. Just make sure the exercise is appropriately difficult. Set numbers should be the same. 3 days a week is a pretty good frequency though, although once you get used to doing difficult exercises frequently you can do it more often. Meanwhile that approach may not be optimal for muscle building because your muscles need a lot of time to regrow, whereas with strength training a lot of it is neuromuscular recovery, which doesn’t take nearly as long.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.