To Robby, Al and anyone else with sartorial knowledge

Home Page Forums We’re Working Out! To Robby, Al and anyone else with sartorial knowledge

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mohammed

Hi all,

I hope you enjoyed the holidays and are well in the year 2015!

I bought a trench coat. It fits well. Over my suit, it fits tightly. What I am concerned about is weight gain. Muscular weight gain in the shoulders, chest and back.

The coat I have: chest = 40 inches; waist = 33 inches

Next size up: chest =41 inches; waist = 35 inches

Ok, the waist jump seems a lot but what about the chest measurement? While I am aware that my calisthenics regime will not make me as big as a bodybuilder, is choosing a size larger justified?

I ask since this coat is relatively expensive and something you’d buy once to last a lifetime.

What were/are your experiences buying overcoats and the like?

cereus

I would maybe advise a size up and taking it to an alteration tailor who can take it in without removing material and then you can take it back and have it let out as and when you need to. Another option if you can afford it is made to measure where you can possibly request some material built in to allow it to be let out.

I’ve been really into classic mens fashion and tailoring for about 6 years but there’s still a lot I don’t know so while I’m pretty sure this is what my betters would advise, take it with a grain of salt.

Mohammed

Thanks, Cereus!

I got the bigger size and it fits fine! All I gotta do is shorten the arms slightly.

Getting the smaller one was a bad, bad idea!

cereus

You’re very welcome. Buying up a size can be good for awkward builds too. A good friend of mine is about 6′ 2″ and very skinny with long limbs. He often buys up a size and has it altered. Fortunately for him he discovered that the place he buys from actually has a tailor on staff for alterations.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.