Starting clutch flags – pain

Home Page Forums We’re Working Out! Starting clutch flags – pain

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    gettingon

I’ve started attempting the clutch flag progression, per CC2. I’m at step 0, getting to grips with a pole 🙂 It’s producing a vague pain in my middle chest (sternum) area. I say vague because it feels like tightness, like something needs to be clicked or stretched out. Is this normal? Or a sign my technique already needs work?
    Also, what’s a good stretch to do for that area post-w/o?

Robby Taylor

It’s hard to say. I remember experiencing a pain in the same area when I first started training the back lever. It was simply my body not being strong enough for the move and becoming used to the tension involved. It could also be a sign of improper technique.

I would suggest firstly becoming comfortable with a standard two arm elbow lever before trying the clutch flag. The elbow stab is quite similar and, while the clutch flag is harder, they, like all levers, will entail a similar type of full body tension.

Of course, I must say that there’s always the possibility that you have some kind of biomechanical impingement or otherwise undiscovered medical condition. If you’re concerned about this I’d advocate seeking professional medical advice before continuing any training that causes this sensation.

gettingon

Hmm thanks, I hadn’t thought of trying the elbow lever. I’m also inclined to think this ache/pain is a result of simply being unconditioned – that part of my body has never had to take a load like that before. If it persists I’ll have to leave out flags but I suspect it will disappear with a few weeks of light training (once or twice a week max).

gettingon

A little update…
    A few days after my first clutch attempts I realized the inside of my chest was feeling a little different, the muscle was feeling a little meatier around the inner/lower edges of chest and I concluded the pain I was feeling was in fact new track being laid. That’s nothing new for this year, since I started with bw exercises I’ve had muscle showing up in all sorts of places but most of it was without DOMS so maybe that’s why I mistook it.

Have tried step 1 a few times since, no pain any more 🙂

I tried elbow levers but yeesh the balancing was frustrating me so I’m leaving it for now. It also felt harsh on the wrists so I don’t know if it’s worth it.

gettingon

Cool thanks, I appreciate your tips and advice! I will start working planks as suggested before continuing with clutches. I’ve actually been doing fingertip planks as per CC2’s suggestion to do them between sets of hanging grip work, so I’ll just start working in the one-handed and angled hand advice (that latter tip I think will prove to be key). I’ve had trouble with my wrists before so I tend to be a bit cautious, so I think you might be right about my hesitancy in the elbow lever. Let me get on with those planks and see how things are looking in the new year 😉
    Thanks again.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.