Programming Question

Home Page Forums We’re Working Out! Programming Question

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    caleb

If my primary goal is to accomplish one arm pushup, is it recommended that I use a full body program or a split? I of course want to address the other muscles/movements, but I want to achieve one arm pushup thus making it my priority. Is there a suggested routine? Thanks for any feedback.

Robby Taylor

For the one arm push up in particular, I would recommend following the advice in Al’s one arm push up tutorial, which can be found in the Tutorial Database thread at the top of the forum index. Pick a variation that is appropriate for your level.

Other than that I definitely recommend pistol squats and back bridges. For upper body pulling I would suggest pull ups, and you may also want to work on one arm Australian pull ups. If you want more core work, I would suggest either hanging leg raises or L sits.

caleb

Robby,

Thanks for the reply, however my question was not answered. I appreciate the recommendation for exercises to compliment the one arm pushup progression outlined by Al, however I’m seeking to know if there is a recommendation for programming if one arm pushup is the primary goal. The tutorial does not outline a program to accompany the progression. I wish to find out if it suggested to follow a full body, upper/lower, push/pull/legs, etc. I’d like to know if the frequency of pushup work is best suited with a particular routine format. I’d appreciate any feedback on this.

Robby Taylor

Well, to train for strength, you want to keep the reps relatively low, no more than 5 maybe 6 reps per set. So find an assistance exercise for the one arm push up that you can only get a few reps in for each arm. It is very possible and I would recommend training those other movements concurrently. For upper body strength, for example, you can do maybe 4 sets of 5 reps per arm for a one arm push up variation, then do a set of 10 pull ups. You can mix it up with pistols to give the upper body some rest and hit the legs.

caleb

Robby,

Thanks again for your reply. However, my question still remains unanswered, unless I am to derive from your last reply that you are suggesting full body – “training those other movement concurrently” does not appear to reflect any type of split, so am I left to assume that you recommend full body?

I simply want to know if someone wants to work out using bodyweight exercises and the primary goal at the time is to achieve one arm pushups, what is the recommended routine setup – full body, upper/lower, push/pull/legs, etc.? If there is not a recommended routine setup, that’s fine. I’d just like to find out from those who more experience and knowledge regarding this than me.

Robby Taylor

That doesn’t really matter, it’s up to personal preference. I prefer full body, as most advanced calisthenics exercises are highly compound to begin with.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.