Pistols – bottom part

Home Page Forums We’re Working Out! Pistols – bottom part

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Hashter
    Participant

Hello everyone, I have a problem with pistols. The main problem is that I cant do a single one because of the bottom part of pistol. When my thigh is getting below parallel I dont have enough strenght and it feels like its imposible to lift my body. I can do supported pistols on rings (its actually bar on two ropes, not rings) or supported pistols on bed which is about few inches under my knee, but if Im using lef leg I can help myself with right hand, its pretty hard to use lef hand to support left leg. I know I have some balance and mobility issues, but I can do 1 or 2 pistol negatives, but its more like falling on one leg which I dont like to do since I hade some problems with knees. I can also hold on one leg in bottom part of pistol kinda confortably and also switch legs in this bottom position.

I always hear that people have ususally strenght for pistol but dont have flexibility and stability. I think that I am oposite. Dont know how to focuse on strenghtening my body for bottom part of pistol.

I would really appreciate any answers, tips, excercises, etc. Thanks

Al Kavadlo
    Keymaster

Have you read my book Pushing The Limits? There is a whole section on training the pistol that includes lots of different progressions and variants. 😀

Robby Taylor

So you’re looking for an isometric “push” for your legs to help develop strength for pistol squats? Try single leg wall sits held for time! Try to build up to 30 seconds per leg.

Robby Taylor

Single leg wall sit primarily helps with developing strength to press up through pistol and also building up knee integrity. For holding the bottom I suggest just holding the bottom for time. For getting through the sticking point going down…that’s mostly about keeping your center of gravity from going too far backward. Try to keep your butt as much over your heel as you can.

Hashter
    Participant

Hmm, single leg wall sit is interesting, im going to try it for sure. I always find out something new here after I thought that nothing cant surprise me :). Im also try to spend more time on one leg in bottom part, try som isometric hold there, squeeze all musles in leg and slowly increase hight or maybe some duck walk or swhitching legs like in cossack dance.

Thanks guys, especially Robby!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.