Only Dips – No Pushups

Home Page Forums We’re Working Out! Only Dips – No Pushups

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Antonio

Is there any problem if someone rejects pushups completely from his workout and only do the dipping movement for the pushing muscles (like a part been untrained)??? Of course I don’t reject pushups, they’re my favorite exercise (because they train the punching muscles), I was just wondering, what if someone wants to do EVERYTHING on the bar, except legs of course… is there a problem???

Robby Taylor

No, it shouldn’t be a problem. The only concern would be once you start to get stronger with pulling you will want to do something harder than dips for pushing to keep an equilibrium. Just keep in mind that standard dips are roughly the equivalent of standard pull ups.

Antonio

So what’s harder than dips to keep the equilibrium??? One arm pushups??? How about one arm dips (I think they can be achieved…)???

Robby Taylor

Your best bets would probably be one arm push ups, handstand push ups, pseudo planche push ups, or one arm dips. One arm dips are possible just really cumbersome, generally I’d say they’re more trouble than they’re worth. Keep in mind that most high level pressing revolves around hand balancing, making handstand push ups an attractive option. Although handstand push ups don’t work the chest like dips do, muscle ups and back levers hit it pretty well, so how you progress after dips depends on your overall goals.

Antonio

Alright, thank you!!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.