Muscles shaking during workout

Home Page Forums We’re Working Out! Muscles shaking during workout

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    MarVel

Hello dear fitness enthusiasts! I have a concern – during bodyweight training – especially push-ups my muscles are shaking when doing slow reps(3 secs positive, 1 sec down, 3 secs negative). I’m currently doing the Convict Conditioning workout. At the beginning when i started doing knee tucks i decided to see what will happen if i don’t use my hands for support at the sides – and i realized i was shaking pretty bad, so i just did them with my hands for support. After I was doing them for about 2 months i was wondering if my muscles will still be shaking if i let go with my hands and they weren’t.

Now I just began the second step of the push-ups – incline ones(I’ve reached 1 set of 15 reps) and the deal is:

I’m doing them slowly again and on the positive(when my body is going down) i have no problem, but on the negative(when i am pushing myself upwards) my muscles are shaking.

Should I go back to the wall push-ups(I have mastered them – 3 sets 50 reps), should i keep increasing the reps or should i do like 1 set of 15 every other day until they stop shaking at then start to increase reps? I’ll be really grateful if you answer my Q 🙂

Liam

Hey MarVel,

Well done on your progressions so far. The shaking is most likely due to the fact you’re new to the exercise and it is putting your muscles under more load then they’re used to. My suggestion would be to stick with the incline push ups at the current rep range working on good form and work it every other day if you can. If that is too tough cut down the reps and increase the sets (i.e. move from 1 x 15 to 3 x 5 – 8) and then build back up. There is no need for you to go back to wall push ups.

Come back and let us know how you’re doing in a couple of weeks!

Liam

Robby Taylor

I agree with Liam; shaking in and of itself isn’t necessarily a bad thing as long as you can safely complete the exercise with good form. It just means that it’s difficult.

Oh also just so you know the negative is the lowering part of a rep.

MarVel

Thnx for the info guys! And also, every other day? Sounds like no problem but what do i do with the other steps? Squats, Leg raises and pull-ups? Especially with the pull-ups? They are also a problem for me. I could do one day push-ups, one day rest, one day pull-ups etc. doing 1 set of 15 till i get fit, is that ok?

MarVel

Or maybe it’s better to stick only with the push-ups for a week or two till i get used to them i guess that’ll be it 🙂

Liam

Do you have a pull up bar in your house? If you can do a pull up with decent form then put the bar up in your house and do a rep every time you go past. This will build up strength and also really lock in the good form.

At the early stages of your training working out everything on the same day works really well. I’ve done this both ways, with a four day split routine and working out three times a week whole body and the results for me were much better working whole body for three times a week. You build up a better level of conditioning.

So, I would advice at the moment doing your squats, leg raises, pull ups and push ups in the same workout. This may lower your reps a little at first but the results will be much better for a beginner (coming from experience) and you’ll also have more time to rest and recover.

Convict Conditioning is a great resource but I think it can easily lead to a slightly narrow minded approach of how you should workout. Think of the progressions, rep recommendations and workout structure as guidelines not infallible law.

Bottom line: I would suggest doing all the exercises in one workout, three times a week (i.e. Monday, Wednesday, Friday) and try to incorporate some extra movement into your life. Don’t worry if your reps drop and little and don’t worry if it takes some time to build a solid foundation. As Al would say just focus on each workout as it comes and don’t sweat the long term goals too much, they’ll happen when you are really mindful in each workout. Once you’ve got a solid foundation with squats, leg lifts, push ups and pull ups you can decide where to go from there. And there are a lot of doors open for you at that stage!

MarVel

Thnx for the respond Liam! I see where you’re heading at, but should i do more reps each workout even if it’s tough or stick to the same for a week, the next week do 5 more of each exercise etc?

Liam

If we’re talking specifically about the push ups then stick with the rep range for a week or two, if you’re still shaking after that cut down the reps but increase the sets. So do 3 x 5-8 instead of 1 x 15. Do that for a week and then do 2 x 10-12 and then go back to doing 1 x 15 and you should find the shaking has stopped.

Let me give you a very basic overview of a principle called cycling. If you get stuck at a rep range then drop the reps slightly and work back up, quite often this is enough to get you past a sticking point. Especially at the early stages with basic exercises.

How much should you increase your reps by each week? That is an impossible question to answer and to be honest your body knows that best. For example with your push ups, soon you’ll get to the top position after 15 and think “hey, I can do another one” that is how I increase my reps now. I don’t have goals (i.e. next week I’ll do two more reps of this) but rather action plans (i.e. when I can do this many reps I’ll start training for this exercise or change my set pattern, etc) and I let my body arrive at that point when it arrives. Your body is your best coach, you need to start listening to it and the the more you do this stuff the more you’ll get used to letting your body tell you stuff.

Robby Taylor

Go ahead and do more man like I said shaking isn’t inherently bad. You may want to push up hard and fast this will be more explosive (even if you keep your hands on the ground the whole time) and may help with the shaking.

MarVel

But I want more muscle growth which comes more from doing slow reps so i guess i’ll stick with em

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.