Muscle Loss And Pure Strength Training

Home Page Forums We’re Working Out! Muscle Loss And Pure Strength Training

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Antonio

In the past I’ve read somewhere that muscle building and strength training makes it harder for the procedure of muscle loss (by aging) to happen. It seems right to me for obvious reasons (more and tougher muscles are lost more difficult). But does the same apply for the pure strength training??? I mean, does making your muscles harder, but not bigger, do the same thing to muscle loss as building muscle and strengthening it???

Marc_Nbg

Working out makes it harder to lose muscle because exercise kinda tells your body that its muscles and strength is needed since they are being used on a regular basis.

Same thing with pure strength. Strength is rather a neurological feature than a musclular one. That means practising is often and regularly improves your strength on a given move. With strength trqining you are actually enforcing the neurological connections between your brain and your muscles. It is called kong term potentiation.

So if you want to trqin your soleley your muscles, you should use reps in the 6 to15 range. And really exhausting your muscles like goint all out until failure in the last set.

For strength you should do only 1 to 3 reps never go to failure, always keep your muscles and mind fresh. But you will have to do multiple sets per exercise like 5 sets of 3 reps

Robby Taylor

Also the connective tissue strength built with strength training (especially with bodyweight) degrades much more slowly than muscular size. This makes sense, since it takes longer to build connective tissue up in the first place. The great thing about that is that having strong connective tissue will be invaluable as you get old. While your contemporaries break a bone when they fall, you will be more likely to catch yourself and sustain the impact (actually, if you become skillful with hand balancing, you will be far less likely to fall in the first place).

Marc_Nbg

well put, Sir ! 😉

Antonio

Thank you both!!! I just finished reading C-Mass and I’ve got two questions on the subject… First, if I choose to work purely on strength, how will I know when to progress on harder moves??? And second, if I train with progressions like in Convict Conditioning, don’t I train both ways described above (when being at the beggining of a progression, the nervous system, and when at the middle and end of a progression, the muscles), so that I achieve gains in both strength and size???

Antonio

Thank you!!!

Robby Taylor

Sure thing, Antonio! Let us know how your progress goes!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.