Level 2 pull-up progression dragging on

Home Page Forums We’re Working Out! Level 2 pull-up progression dragging on

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    gettingon

I started doing Convict Conditioning’s step 2 (Australian) pull-ups around April/May, I think I was doing single sets of 6-7 to start. I found this move quite hard and for the first few weeks made little progress.
    I can now manage a set of 15, using best form possible and still keeping a couple reps ‘in the bank’. After the first set I can’t get as high reps, even with longish rests I can only get 12-13. I’m progressing at roughly 1 rep added each week. It’s almost September! Is it reasonable to spend so long on this step? I mean realistically it looks like I could be on this step until Feb (or later!) next year, to achieve the progression level of 30, especially for 2nd and 3rd sets.
    I don’t know if I should be complaining or if I’m being impatient. I believe in this program, I can feel what a long way I’ve come even though it hasn’t really been so long since I started it, but other steps seem to be leaving pullups behind. I don’t know if that’s anything to be worried about or if I just must keep plugging away.
    I’ve always had a bad tendency to train pull-ups with added weight and few reps, never high reps without weight, this might also be a factor here.

Other thing maybe worth mentioning is I had to make do in finding something to use for this exercise, the bar I’m pulling on is narrower than shoulder width.

Liam

I’d also suggest reading Al’s article on learning to do pull ups!

http://alkavadlo.com/bootstrap/2010/09/16/learning-to-do-a-pull-up/

Hope those posts help dude, keep up the training and enjoy the world of calisthenics.

Liam

gettingon

Thanks. Have you used that pullup bar? Is it safe? I’ve been thinking about getting one of those sorts, but I’m wary of it ruining doorframes or if it’s simply not up to it – coming loose and falling with me at the top of a rep :/

Liam

Yes I have one because I couldn’t find one that fits into the top of the frame in my city. And now I have access to an outdoor pull up bar which is much better. How much do you weight? If you tighten it properly then it shouldn’t fall on your head, just don’t do anything crazy on it. Stick to pull ups! It hasn’t ruined my door frame but of course I can’t vouch for yours.

Liam

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.