How to Strengthen Shoulder with previous injury

Home Page Forums We’re Working Out! How to Strengthen Shoulder with previous injury

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    mandirigma

Hi!

I’m Chris of the Philippines. I train in Filipino Martial arts and teach streetfighting and practice body weight calisthenics ( Malayang Anyo Bodyweight Calisthenics by Guro Perry Mallari). I had a shoulder injury 3-4 yrs before due to a grappling spar. I was not able to roll properly and 60% of my shoulder ligaments were ruptured. I hadf it working thru Physical therapy. Just last month I was able to do push-ups w/c I’m not able to do after the injury because of BW calisthenics. My problem though is I cant do handstand still. I can do headstand on a wall but my shoulders can carry my weight upside down. What do I do? Tnx and more power!

Robby Taylor

Well most obviously be very careful here. I would say spend more time with bridging exercises rather than handstand practice. Headstands can still be useful but I think bridging exercises will be more beneficial. Work your way to a full bridge. Of course, I am not sure how sensitive your shoulder is so even though these exercises will put substantially less strain on the shoulder than the handstand you must still be very cautious. I would also suggest to you that, in doing any pushing exercise (or pulling exercise, even) focus on doing slow, very controlled negatives. This should help reinforce shoulder integrity in your situation. So if you would normally do, for example, 20 push ups at a regular pace, do 12-15 with slow negatives; those 12-15 should be as exhausting as the original 20. Once you get very comfortable with push ups again, and are making good progress on the bridge, you may want to start practicing pike push ups. Simply holding the top position of this will simulate a handstand, only with much less resistance.

Lastly, you may want to consider working on the twist hold progressions found in Convict Conditioning 2. It doesn’t really matter if you have to stick to one of the easier progressions, if that progression gives you some relief or remedial benefits to your injury it is worthwhile.

http://alkavadlo.com/bootstrap/2012/07/19/twist-holds/

Al Kavadlo
    Keymaster

Hey Chris – Like Robby said, you’ve got to be very careful when getting over an injury. I wouldn’t recommend any type of HSPU for a long time. A full bridge might not be a good idea either, but it’s hard to say for sure without working with you in person. My best advice is simply to work on the basics for now and be patient.

mandirigma

Thanks Al!

Im doing planks and trying the twist holds lately. Would this be OK? I’ve rested my shoulders for quite a time and resisted every possible ” Grease the groove” opportunity I have on doing pull-ups and simply do a headstand without stressing the shoulders, except earlier when I had the chance for a basic bodyweight calisthenics demo (sorry!?)- it worked good though and I was stronger to my amazement. Any advice on what specific basic bodyweight training I can do to strengthen the shoulders?

Again- Pugay!

mandirigma

Hi Al and Robby! I got my complete handstand last September 2 and a complete pistol on the same day also. Thanks for all your advice!

Again, pugay!

Al Kavadlo
    Keymaster

Congrats! Sounds like you’re doing great! Keep it up!

Robby Taylor

Yeah man great progress!

mandirigma

Yes sirs!

Your work and dedication to it has inspired me and those around me. You may see and visit my progress at facebook under the name – mandirigma.dalida

Hopefully we can build enough group here in the Philippines to invite you and your friends.

To your great work and enthusiasm- Pugay!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.