Help! How to fix bad ankles?

Home Page Forums We’re Working Out! Help! How to fix bad ankles?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jasonlparks

Hello ALL!

thanks In advance for any feedback because I couldn’t find any solid advise via the net.

My girlfriend a few years ago was attacked by a pine cone and some stairs and ended up tearing a ligament in her ankle. The doctor suggested surgery but she declined.

Her best friend as a child had tendons that were too short to allow her heels to touch the ground so she walked on her toes. She had surgery and it was corrected.

Now the two of them have started to run a few days a week and I’m proud of them for committing to exercise but both complain about ankle area pains afterwards and my girl’s ankle seems to swell after every run.

I thouhht maybe some some daily stretches of the area incorporated into their lifestyles may help or some exercises aimed to strengthen that area as a whole.

if you have any helpful suggestions, I’m all ears! Thanks.

Robby Taylor

Well remenber that both women have unique medical history so of course be cautious with anything you try.

As for exercises, I’d say calf raises should not be an issue for someone with full ankle functionality. In particular, both ladies could work toward doing calf raises on an elevated surface (a step or curb) so that at the bottom of the rep the ankles are below the balls of the feet, giving the ankle a full range of motion. If this is an issue I’d suggest stretches relative to this range of motion.

Deep, full range of motion squats (with heels kept on the floor) should also not be a problem…but from what you said one of both of these exercises might be an issue. If so I think they should be worked towards because they signify a basic competency of the ankle. Start out with regular calf raises (no elevation), and regular squats and stretching, with the goal being elevated calf raises and close squats (feet together).

Of course, these are ideals.

jasonlparks

thanks! We wil jump on this today and try to ease into some progressions

gettingon

Ankle circles might help condition as well. (simply making the widest circle moving only the foot, start with maybe a dozen a day and work up to several dozen a day – don’t forget to go both directions)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.