greasing the groove

Home Page Forums We’re Working Out! greasing the groove

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    thebeast

hi,

i have a couple of questions about the grease the groove workout.
    1. can you do the GTG as your only workout routine?
    2. can you combine push ups, pull ups and dips?
    3. can i do these excercises every day?
    4. do the have to be spreaded out over the entire day or can you start at 4 pm (school out)?
    5. can you reach high reps in 1 set after using this workout for some time?(exemple: 30 pull ups, 80 push ups, 30 dips)

Rifat

2-4 yes.
    5- no
    1-may be

thebeast

what are the most consecutive reps i can reach with this routine (so max amount of reps in one set) for each excercise?

thebeast

i’m now doing 2 one arm push ups against a table each set (aprox 15 sets a day) and 3-4 explosive pull ups and slowly down (also 15 sets a day). i’ll do it 2 days and then one day rest. will this improve my one arm push ups, push ups and pull ups?

Robby Taylor

Sure, it can’t hurt. But if you can set aside 20 or 30 minutes a day at least twice a week for a more structured workout that would be more helpful. I view GTG as a sort of side training to help improve fringe skills, rather than a primary training approach. Although it is far better than nothing, and you will still see results. 15 sets is a lot that’s about once per hour if you sleep 8 hours. You might try doing 2 sets at a time but half as often. Seems to me it would be less cumbersome to just do a workout.

In any case I’d suggest some leg work too. Pistol or shrimp squats are a great go to.

thebeast

i’ll try out your advice :). how long will it take to get to about 20 pull ups, 5 one arm pushups on floor and lets say 5 pistol squats?
    will the gtg also improve strength and explosiveness or just endurance?

Robby Taylor

Speed of progress depends on your dedication to your training and recovery, as well as your body’s ability to adapt to certain exercises. Could be anywhere from a couple of weeks to a number of months. Increasing your reps alone, especially from such low numbers, is an indicator of strength gains. I’d say 20 pull ups is more in line with about 10 pistols per leg. Explosiveness will come with strength, but you can train more specifically for it with plyometric exercises.

thebeast

after a day of rest yesterday, i now have a harder time doing pull ups :/ can you explain this? please dont forget my previous post 😉

thebeast

can you maybe give me another workout routine? my goal is 20 pull ups, 60 push ups, 15 OA push ups, 10 pistol squats, 2 DH muscle ups, 25 dips.
    my stats: 6-8 pull ups max, 20-25 push ups max, 0 pistol squats, 0 OA push ups, 0 muscle ups, 12 dips. i’m 15 yo, male. i can only start working out at 4:30 pm on weekdays. i have a pull ups bar, dip station and restistance bands (2-7 kg and 9-17 kg). i have basketball practice and jiujitsu classes 3-9 hours a week. my long term goals are planches, HS push ups, human flags, levers, …

thebeast

i also want to jump higher 🙂

Robby Taylor

There’s a lot of carry over between exercises. Focus on chin ups and australian pull ups, dips, diamond push ups, and pike push ups (overhead pressing shouldn’t be overlooked; in my opinion handstand push ups are more essential than one arm push ups), L leg raises and planks (working toward full hanging leg raises and L sits), and shrimp squats. In my experience most people find shrimp squats easier to learn than pistol squats, and they are still an awesome exercise. Jumping shrimp squats are excellent for lower body plyometric strength (which translates strongly to vertical jump height).

Try starting out doing 3 days a week, I like working out every other day. Pick a few exercises that you feel good about doing that day, do 3-5 sets. I would say once you can consistently do sets of like 15 or 16 reps of an exercise then you’re ready for a harder variation, as far as strength building goes.

thebeast

so 3-4 times a week, 3-5 sets, going to failure? will doing an excerices ones or twice a week increase my reps and build up strength? how fast will i get to for exemple 50 push ups if i only do 3-5 sets twice a week? how fast will i reach my first goals?

Robby Taylor

I usually don’t go to complete failure, and I don’t think it’s the best idea to go to complete failure every single set; you want to be able to do a good number of reps the next set. If you want the fastest results, you have to either focus on strength training or building endurance; it will take longer to improve both. On this forum I typically suggest focusing on strength, keeping the rep ranges low (anything past 20 and you’re well into endurance territory).

Beyond that, you’re overthinking it man. Just train. Everyone reacts differently, the only way to know for sure how long it will take is to do it. For the strength goals you listed, for most serious trainees who start out with high relative strength (such as people who are relatively small and/or young), I’d say 2-6 months is a reasonable time frame, but it will take longer for some people.

mrdave100

hi,

i have a couple of questions about the grease the groove workout.
    1. can you do the GTG as your only workout routine?
    2. can you combine push ups, pull ups and dips?
    3. can i do these excercises every day?
    4. do the have to be spreaded out over the entire day or can you start at 4 pm (school out)?
    5. can you reach high reps in 1 set after using this workout for some time?(exemple: 30 pull ups, 80 push ups, 30 dips)

Hi Beast, I’ve used GTG and it’s a very effective method. As for answers to your questions.

1. Yes, but you’d be better off doing GTG for 2 completely unrelated movements, then a skeleton workout to hit other body parts.

2. Doubtful, while dips is a different movement than push-ups, they really tax the chest. You’d be better with pushups/pull-ups or dips and pull-ups.

3. Yes, except vary the reps and frequency. One day you may do your push-ups/pull-ups every 90 minutes, the next day every 2 hours, and another day every 3 hours. Vary the reps between 40-60% of your max.

4. Yes, try to do a set before leaving for school in the morning then do as many as you can before bed.

5. Absolutely.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.