Extreme workout- is it good? Could you do it?

Home Page Forums We’re Working Out! Extreme workout- is it good? Could you do it?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    katie

I got this plan from my gymnastics coach and wanted to ask you some questions (below).

It is done 3 times a week.
    Here it is:

pushing:
    5×5 Handstand push-ups
    20 Pseudo Plance Push-Ups with elevated legs, 20 wide push-ups, 20 diamond push-ups

pulling:
    5×5 L-pull-ups

shoulders:
    5x5sec tuck planche

active compression:
    5×5 L to V leg lifts

passive compression:
    5×5 secs V-sit
    2×60 secs L-Sit

open abs:
    5×5 V-Hang to inverted Hang

obliques: 5×5 “around the world’s”

back/glutes/hamstrings:
    5×5 arch-ups with 10 lbs on arms and legs

quadriceps:
    5×5 single leg squats

calves+shins: max: –
    100 heel and toe raises

It would be cool if you could look at this workout and tell me:

1) Do you think it is good? Why/Why not?

2) Could you do it?

3) Do you think it is possible to master it in 1 year if you could do just 3 normal pull-ups, 4 hanging leg lifts, 20 normal push-ups, 20 secs L-Sit?

Robby Taylor

1. For the most part, yes, there’s lots of good exercises here. But it looks a bit unbalanced to me, although it depends on your goals. There are some things I would change.

2. Most of it. I don’t feel comfortable saying I can do a V sit or tuck planche. V sit I really need to work on my pike, and for some reason I always had trouble with any kind of direct planche work. My uncle could hold a tuck planche easily but in just about everything else he’s weaker than I am (last I saw him). Dunno about doing a set of 20 pseudo planche push ups with my feet elevated either, that sounds hard.

3. Anything’s possible, but those examples you gave are highly imbalanced. If you can do a 20 second L sit you should be able to fly past 20 push ups and 3 pull ups.

katie

Hello Robby and thank you for your answer!

I don’t know, I never train pull-ups but I do lots of standing handstand pressed so I guess my compression is definitely my strongest part!

What do you think I shoud change?

I am a very good tumbler but my coach said I need to do this in a year. I don’t know if I can make ist 🙁

katie

Hey Robby, thanks for your answer!

I do alot of standing press handstands so I guess that compression is my stongest part but I never train pull-ups!

I am a good tumbler, but I never did a lot of strength training!

My coach says I should do it in one year, but I am really unsure if I can make it! 🙁

I will work hard, eat well and rest enough. But I have no idea about strength development etc so thats why I am asking you!

Robby Taylor

I see. Yes, from what I can tell of my very limited understanding with female gymnasts, y’all seem to be awesome at floor pressing and anything that requires flexibility…while pulling strength seems to lack for some reason.

Like I said, most of that looks awesome. The most glaring thing I’d personally replace is the arch ups with stand to stand bridges (back bends). Ensure that you can keep your arms straight up over your head the entire time, because otherwise this skill may be easy for you (easier than it should be). I can understand the arch ups though, it is a fundamental gymnastics exercise after all. I have a goal of pressing from a bridge to a handstand (like a kickover [I think is what they call it] only without jumping/kicking your legs). You could conceivably then lower down and bring your legs between your arms and go to V sit, then press all the way back to a back bend with control.

The pseudo planche push ups should be far harder than wide and diamond push ups, so I think you should do fewer of them, like 10-15. This would also be more in line with the handstand push ups. But if you’re just awesome at them then go for it.

By heel and toe raises I presume you mean calf raises? These are good but that’s a lot of reps. Try one leg calf raises on a step or other elevated surface. Go slow and keep your knee locked out, this should help build more strength in your calves than what I think you were talking about.

As a tumbler, you may be able to benefit from shrimp squat jumps. Work on the shrimp squat, then start adding jumps. Before long you should be able to jump onto a box! I find the shrimp squat better as a plyometric exercise than the pistol, and it should carry over well to your tumbling…so will the stand to stand bridges.

Probably the biggest hurdle for you will be the pulling strength. I’ve seen women do pretty clean muscle ups and side levers, and I’ve even read about women doing one arm pull ups (without using the other hand to assist), so I know the potential’s there. I think this should be of import to you because it seems to be your weakest link. I think being able to do a non-kipping muscle up on a bar is in line with some of the stuff you wrote about, so that would be a reasonable goal, I think. You can start out with kipping and just reduce the kip over time, or you can try it on the rings, which is easier because you don’t have a bar that you have to go around on the way up. But before you get into training for that, you should probably be able to do like 15-20 clean pull ups with no kip without too much trouble. So for Now just focus on getting more pull ups. I’d also suggest inverted rows (aka Australian pull ups or bodyweight row). That’s an excellent exercise in general for the shoulder girdle, from an injury prevention standpoint. It provides a unique type of conditioning to the rotator cuffs, and with all the stuff you do it’s probably a good idea to do those regardless. The fact that it will make your pull ups stronger is “just” icing on the cake.

katie

Sorry for posting the reply twice… I was on my phone and when I wanted to check the thread it didn’t show my first reply, so I went for the second one and then suddenly both showed up 😛

Thank you! Yes, the bridge thing is great. I can easily go down and also up again with arms overhead. I guess you mean limbers, which is like a backbend kickover but with both feet. They are hard!

Yes, you are right….I am pretty positive about the leg lifts on stall bars, although the L to V or around the world’s seem like hell and I can’t do a single one yet.
    But somehome the pulling thing is something I lack totally.

Thanks for your advice anyways!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.