Does anyone use a standing work station?

Home Page Forums We’re Working Out! Does anyone use a standing work station?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Liam

I have just converted my sitting work station into a standing one (basically by putting my stool sideways on the desk, the height is pretty spot on actually). There are two reasons for this:

1. I keep on reading studies about how bad sitting is for you (while sitting down normally)

2. I am finding that when I do exercises that require my hipsto engage to keep my body straight (i.e. one arm push ups) they are a big weak link. Sitting shortens your hamstrings and hip flexors. Doesn’t seem a big leap to say that chronic sitting is getting in the way here.

Has anyone else decided to spend less time sitting? What have you found? After day one my feet are a little sore but the rest of my body feels pretty good actually.

Volker

I have one myself. It’s adjustable, so I can sit when reading longer texts, but I find myself using the sitting position less and less. A few observations:

– Dynamic standing is better than dynamic sitting for me.

– After standing for some time, I feel a strain on my lower back, but my upper back feels much better. Bending my lower back and moving a little makes the pain go away immediately though.

– I take more breaks from my PC than before, which might be a good thing.

– My feet are fine, but I’m not standing there 8to5 anyway, might become a problem if I did.

Oh, and love your books, Al. I’m still a beginner with 3 chinups and 7 pushups (before starting to train: none of both) , but I can already see and feel the difference! 🙂

Liam

Hey Volker,

What do you mean by dynamic standing and dynamic sitting? I haven’t come across those phrases before.

I’m also finding I spend less time at the PC which is definitely a good thing.

Liam

Volker

Hey Liam,

dynamic sitting = active sitting, like sitting on a ball, which leads to activation of the pelvis and constant micro adjustments. I feel that standing makes it even easier for me to adjust and constantly change my posture.

I had a chair for active sitting once, but I definitely prefer standing. I somehow managed to slouch even with that chair, and it was even more expensive than my standing work station.

Liam

Ahhh, thank you for the clarification. Yes, I have a backless stool which I’ll use if I really have to sit so I have to keep my back up straight. I’ve never been attracted to the fancy chairs like that and you’ve just reinforced my lack of interest. I’ll stick with the standing and spend my money on something else!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.