Carpal Tunnel and push-ups

Home Page Forums We’re Working Out! Carpal Tunnel and push-ups

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    wcmoore

Hey, I’m a musician and I’ve lost about 70 ibs in the last year. I’ve been doing mostly strength training and I’m currently working towards being able to do more bodyweight stuff so I can weed out the weights. My issue is that my carpal tunnel in my right hand really acts up when I try to do a proper push-up. My carpal tunnel has gotten better since I’ve lost weight, and started stretching better but its still an issue. I’m just curious if anyone as dealt with any similar issues and if so how did they address them. Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this.

Robby Taylor

Quick fix, do push ups and planks on your fists.

Al Kavadlo
    Keymaster

Congrats on the weight loss! Robby’s suggestion to try fist push-ups is probably a good idea. You might also try using push-up handles.

wcmoore

Thanks, I’ve still got a bit to go, or at least I feel like I do. Anyways, I appreciate the advice from the both of you! Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Robby Taylor

I remembered an article at Global Bodyweight Training that I read a few months back

http://www.globalbodyweighttraining.com/wrist-mobility-exercises/

Hopefully you can gain something from that!

wcmoore

Thanks, man! I can’t thank you enough for the article and taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it.

gettingon

Hey, I started convict conditioning about 6 months ago, and was rather wary of how it would go with pushups as I too have had carpal tunnel issues. I also used to play guitar, and my job meant 7-8 hours a day at the keyboard. I stopped playing guitar a few years ago because it just seemed to be doing me more harm than good – playing was painful. I started with step 1 (wall pushups) and have not been bothered by wrists since (I’m on step 4 pushups now). I also do the wrist mobility exercises as linked and honestly my wrists feel better than they have in years.

The exercises helped I believe, but not doing things that irritate the problem (eg. long hours at the keyboard without break) helps a lot too.

Robby Taylor

That’s great news! It sounds like your training is coming along steadily, good job!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.