calisthenics only at the gym?

Home Page Forums We’re Working Out! calisthenics only at the gym?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jf89

This really isn’t about working out but i was wondering why people say that just. doing pure calisthenics at a fitness type gym is showboating ? Do people do. pure calisthenics at general fitness gym? I never seen people doing push up or sit ups or hanging exercises ,althgh it would probably be mpre comfortable then a playground lol….anyways ….yea just wonding what the general consensus is?

Robby Taylor

Aside from the PCC, I’ve never gone to a gym to work out. If you go to a commercial gym and do just advanced calisthenics, people might think you are showboating because the huge majority of people can’t do any of that stuff and they are insecure about it, so they are projecting their fear of judgement onto you. Of course not everyone will think that, but so few people can do the advanced stuff that, in a crowded gym, some might feel that way. I kind of feel awkward sometimes working out in the park with kids and parents around, but I sometimes see guys doing parkour, and those dudes are strong! I’ve seen muscle ups, handstand presses, v sits…its pretty awesome. But I don’t go frequently and ive only seen them a few times. Usually I see parents with their kids.

Robby Taylor

People could judge you for various reasons, from the beginner who can barely do a pull up thinking you’re just seeking attention, to the heavy bencher who’s always associated calisthenics with warm ups thinking that you think you’re so great, but that you probably can’t bench as much as he can.

But I think that, ultimately, it reflects the empowering nature of calisthenics. You don’t need to train outside, but if you do accept you might have some onlookers. As a beginner, this may feel embarrassing if you keep failing a new skill. As an advanced athlete, people will probably think you’re showing off. But the general empowerment that comes from this training is constant. Philosophically, that is probably the biggest takeaway. It’s not about what other people think, it’s about honing your skills to become the truest representation of an exercise that you can. Philosophically, the endgame is control of our physical domain, and the strengthening of the mental/physical connection.

Robby Taylor

Haha, thanks man!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.