Building muscles while losing fat

Home Page Forums We’re Working Out! Building muscles while losing fat

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    WS297

I mean is it even possible? I know about the calories thing: working out on more calories than you burn – building muscles, burning more than you get – torching fat.

But there’s a program that got me confused. Here it is:

3 exercises (for example push-ups, squats, pull-ups). 7×7 with 7 seconds in between sets. Then 30 seconds rest. After that 6×6 with 6 seconds in between. Half a minute rest again. Then 5×5. When you finished get ready to start the next exercise.

It sounds like a good cardio workout but does it help to build muscles? And if not is there a tip that can help me to complete both tasks?

Thanks.

Robby Taylor

I believe a combination of bodyweight strength training and HIIT training applied to sprints will be ideal for building muscle while burning fat…in addition to sleeping enough and eating enough nutritious food.

If you have difficulty sprinting, any sort of intense cardio will work, but of course principally they should be so difficult that you should find it quite difficult to maintain your pace for more than 20 or 30 seconds at the most. After you recover, repeat it for a total of 6-12 sets of 10 to 30 seconds (depending on the exercise and your conditioning).

Marc_Nbg

yes high intensity cardio will work fine !

WS297

Thanks guys. Really apreciate your advices.

So do I need to use HIIT in rest days (for example on tuesday, thursday and maybe saturday if I work out 3 times a week) or use both things in the same day?

Robby Taylor

I would recommend starting out with HIIT only twice a week, maybe even just once, depending on various factors. Sprinting can tear you up (literally) if you push too hard and don’t give yourself ample recovery, especially when youre first starting out. But, things like jump rope or bike riding shouldn’t be as bad.

Doing them on separate days is ideal, so MWF you can do strength training then T The HIIT, maybe with a bit of hand balancing after for general training purposes. Personally if I were to do them both the same day I’d probably do strength training first then HIIT later in the day, and I wouldn’t do a heavy leg workout the same day as sprints…or even in between sprint days. On that note, if you want to do a heavy leg workout save it for sometime after your HIIT for the week.

Al Kavadlo
    Keymaster

Just work out consistently and eat clean. Challenge yourself but have fun with the process. The rest will take care of itself. 🙂

WS297

Thanks for the help again 🙂

Robby Taylor

With Al’s post, I would like to emphasize that you approach HIIT with caution, especially if you’re thinking about sprinting. It’s extremely taxing if you’re not used to it. Whenever I put them in my programming (which typically lasts for a week or two) the first workout leaves me sore in various ways that I don’t experience with calisthenics. Even if you’re good at pistols it won’t mean that you are necessarily conditioned for sprinting. I only bring this up because I know one of your goals here is to lose fat so I’m not sure how ready you are for that exercise.

But, you asked for the best way to torch fat and build muscle, and my suggestion is an excellent one, especially for someone who doesn’t want to use weights or machines. While sprinting is awesome (kicks your metabolism into hyperdrive, releases significant levels of HGH, great workout for the lower body [especially when utilized in tandem with pistols and bridges]), it is something you need to prep for and so until that point, Al’s simple, direct advice may be the most applicable to you for now.

WS297

I’ll search it. TY for the tip 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.