Bridge Series with Lack of Wrist Extension

Home Page Forums We’re Working Out! Bridge Series with Lack of Wrist Extension

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mike D

Al,

I just started performing CC about 3 months ago after being introduced to it by one of my patients (I am a Physical Therapist in Minnesota). Prior to that, I decided to move away from weights and concentrate on exercises outlined in Chad Waterbury’s High Frequency Training workout (a lot of ring work). I love the CC workouts and hope to progress to the level of PCC sometime in the future (it will take me a while to get there!). My question is this…in 1992 I had wrist surgery on my right wrist. Because of that, I have a significant lack of wrist extension ROM (this was 5 years prior to becoming a PT). Have you ever instructed anyone with this scenario? I am thinking of getting a set of pushup bars to try and progress through the Bridge series (I am on Angled Bridges). I figured this could give me a mechanical advantage that I need to be able to do them. However, I am not sure if the neutral grip would place too much stress on my elbows, but, I’m not sure that I would ever be able to progress otherwise. Right now, I do them off of a desk and put a textbook under my hands. This works, but, my wrists take a beating and I don’t want it to lead to injury. I would appreciate any advice you have on this. Thanks again and I love all of your work. Keep spreading the word!!!

Mike

Al Kavadlo
    Keymaster

Hey Mike – I have worked with lots of clients with wrist issues. Unfortunately, since each situation is unique, I cannot provide much of a specific guideline for you without a face to face meeting. The methods you mentioned are all totally viable and it sounds like you are doing a good job of experimenting for yourself (though yoga blocks might work better than textbooks). The only other advice I can give you is the same general advice I give everyone: go slowly, be mentally present during your training and back off if you feel pain.

Robby Taylor

I would probably try it on my fists if I were you. I just did it with both fingers facing each other (neutral grip, in pull up terms) and with fingers facing away from my feet (thumbs on the inside or probated grip in pull up terms) and neither one seemed to bother my elbows or wrists, so I don’t know but it could work for you, basically you will get the same wrist angles as using push up handles only using the floor.

Mike D

Thanks Al and Robby…I appreciate both of you taking time out of your busy days to answer my post. I’ll give your suggestions a try.

Mike

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.