Bodyweight For Mass, Skill Optional

Home Page Forums We’re Working Out! Bodyweight For Mass, Skill Optional

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    dbolt72

Mr. Kavadlo,

I am seeking info on building/keeping mass using bodyweight methods only. I will have access to a dip/pullups station and the floor for the next 21 months. I won’t have access to weights and I want to maintain my build at a minimum, ideally continue to grow. You appear to be the bodyweight expert, so I’m seeking your opinion. How does one utilize bodyweight training for mass? I’m not interested in developing some of the skills I see online. Flags and gymnastic moves are cool, but not not what I want or need. I have been using Dan John’s OLAD routine, but an email from him suggests that this won’t work for bodyweight because of insufficient load. So what are the parameters for building mass with bodyweight, specifically split/design and set/rep ranges? How does one get bigger with bodyweight? Please share as specifically as you can. There’s way too much vagueness online about this.

Thanks,

Derek

Al Kavadlo
    Keymaster

Hey Derek – I wrote an article for Bodybuilding.com on this very subject. Take a look: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bodyweight-bodybuilder-the-mass-building-calisthenic-workout.html

gettingon

Great article, which should answer most of your questions dbolt72. All you need to understand is that from your muscle’s point of view there’s no difference between a load you put on them by leveraging bodyweight or a load you put on them by lifting or pressing a barbell. Work is work, contraction is contraction. The same principles of overload and progression apply, and so the same strategies of rep/set volume also apply. And as important as it is for building mass by iron, the right diet is just as important for building mass by bodyweight.

dbolt72

Mr. Kavadlo,

Thanks for your reply. I did see this article, and I understand which exercises you recommend, as well as set/rep counts. One thing is missing from your article though. In terms of programming, how often do you recommend this workout to be done? Once a week, twice, three, more? Can you provide some guidance for weekly structure? I’ve always heard that full body is supposed to be three times a week with rest days between, but in your book you elude to training more than three days a week. How would you recommend that someone do this? I’m thinking Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, but would like your input.

Derek

Al Kavadlo
    Keymaster

There is no universal workout template that works best for everyone. This is why I leave my guidelines open-ended. Here’s another article I wrote which explains this concept in more detail: http://pccblog.dragondoor.com/make-your-own-workout/?apid=4e8cb1ea167b0

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.