Beginner Tips pre starting Calisthenics

Home Page Forums We’re Working Out! Beginner Tips pre starting Calisthenics

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by yak.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    yak

Hi Everyone,

First time poster from down under – just bought Stretching Your Boundaries and another book by accident I was too eager to start and got the wrong one haha – I’m sure it will be useful too though.

I have been going to the gym for maybe 18 months, which helped me pull my body out of life impacting medical issues. However the gym poses multiple issues with my lifestyle and gets a little dull at times.

My post revolves around what is the best approach to starting calisthenics…

I’ve contacted a local Vinyasa yoga studio to pickup correct breathing patterns and maybe some basic poses. Is there something else I should be looking at getting out of a yoga instructor before I stop going? Also, is Vinyasa a good choice?

Is there anything else that would assist in getting started?

I’m also intending on dropping my body weight % down to maybe 9%, I figure that would be a good place to start putting on lean muscle.

Very keen on hearing back and getting started

Cheers guys and gals 🙂

Robby Taylor

I can’t speak to the pros and cons of specific styles of yoga personally, I would say google it or just go to the class and see how you like it. For calisthenics I would ask for instruction on the wheel pose (back bridge), handstand, peacock (elbow lever), I don’t know what they call the L sit but check that out, and if you want forearm stand. You can probably get help with pressing to a handstand as well.

Besides that of course I would ask about any mobility issues you might have, especially in the shoulders and hips. I would just go through Stretching Your Boundaries and keep note of any postures that you have problems with, then take the book and ask a yogi to help you with them.

yak

Cheers Robby, solid advice!

Al Kavadlo
    Keymaster

Vinyasa yoga is great, but more than the style of yoga, I think the individual instructor is what matters most. Find a teacher you like and feel comfortable with.

As for when to stop doing yoga, I’ve been doing yoga for over ten years and have no plans to stop in the foreseeable future. There is always more you can get from it! 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.