Back lever!

Home Page Forums We’re Working Out! Back lever!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ziyitan8

Hi again 🙂 since my last post I’ve already achieved my first muscle up (still very messy) and I can hold a freestanding handstand for 5 seconds, so thanks for your help on that 🙂 Anyways I’ve been skinning the cat and trying the back lever but I cant seem to get it :/ can you give me some advice for that? And how I should train? 🙂 thanks!

Robby Taylor

Great progress on your muscle up and handstand my friend, keep it up! As for the back lever, heh, it’s really hard. When you do skin the cat are you actually doing it for reps like lower down pull back lower down etc or simply hanging at the bottom? You should be doing it for reps to most effectively build strength. When you get to the bottom try to “relax” in it (keep your arms and shoulders engaged, but let your body “sink” to a low point to maximize your gains. At the bottom you should feel a stretch in your chest). Also, keep your legs straight throughout the movement.

Besides that, getting better at muscle ups will only help your back lever. Elbow levers will actually teach you the proper body positioning for a back lever. Also, you should be very strong at pull ups and dips, probably also pretty good at handstand push ups (with a wall) before you can do a back lever. Getting good at the L sit wouldn’t hurt either, especially for the core strength.

ziyitan8

Thank you for your help on the muscle up and handstand 😀 well I just drop down after 5-10 seconds haha 😛 for reps where do I pull back until? Until I’m hanging in a pull up position or. ..? And how do I keep my legs straight? Okay I’ll continue practising my elbow levers and L-sits 🙂 thanks again!

Robby Taylor

From a chin up position, bring your legs up through your arms. Nominally, your legs would be more or less parallel to the ground with you upside down. It would look something like an upside down L sit, with the back of your calves against the pull up bar. This is your starting position. Now, keeping your legs straight and your shoulders engaged, continue the rotation until you are in the bottom of the German hang. Then, using strength from your chest, shoulders, back, core, and arms, pull yourself back until the back of your calves touch the bar again. Think about keeping your knees locked out throughout the movement. It may require more hamstring flexibility, but I think this is a case where keeping your legs straight is more about focusing your intent than a flexibility lomitation.

ziyitan8

I’m sorry but i still cannot visualize it :/ is it the same thing as what Al mentioned in Raising the Bar? so i should be in an L-sit position throughout the whole movement?

Robby Taylor

You don’t have to be in an L sit position the entire time, in fact I find it more natural for the hips to straighten out near the bottom of the movement so your whole body forms a sort of crescent shape.

ziyitan8

Ohhhhhh okay I get it. Thanks a lot! 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.