Australian Pullup Progressions

Home Page Forums We’re Working Out! Australian Pullup Progressions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sisko1980

Hi all,

I’m doing the CC program for 6 month now and wanted to integrate some Australian Pullups. Does anyone have some suggestions for a good progression for them or a link to a site? I have seen Al’s videos on Australian Pullups, but there are more Plyometric exercises and different variantions, not so much a real progression.

To add something to the topic myself, I thought I start with normal Australian Pullups, then try to lift one leg, then maybe elevate both legs. I could also change the grip. I thought I’ll try to go up to 20 reps and then try the next progression.

Any thoughts on the topic would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Robby Taylor

Those are all good ideas. The Australian pull up is great for developing a level of support in the rotator cuff muscles. But if you want to turn it into a more serious exercise strength-wise, I suggest working toward the one arm Australian pull up.

Al Kavadlo
    Keymaster

Archer Australians are a nice variation as well. 🙂

Steve

If you’re able to find a box or 2 of a height that’ll put your body both parallel to the ground and at a sharp decline then you’ve got a couple of variations — start with your feet on the floor at a normal grip-width.

Then with your body at parallel they will be a little more difficult — and at a decline again moreso — when decline Rows are easy try to widen your grip so much that your elbows are out at 90 degrees from your body — they’re called Bulgarian Rows — and you might only be able to do a couple at a time at first.

And of course as per usual Robby Taylor and Al Kavadlo are right.

They’re very good for the middle of your upper back and should be done in addition to Pull-ups in my opinion — to keep a healthy shoulder girdle and fix any imbalances from all the Push-up work you do — and for all of the time spent sitting with poor posture in front of the computer.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.