advice regarding exercise routines

Home Page Forums We’re Working Out! advice regarding exercise routines

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    stankanovic

Hi there, new to the forum and just looking for some advice. I’ve been doing calisthenics for the last couple of months and been progressing slowly but steadily.
    My question is what you think of my exercise routines for the week.
    I usually exercise 40minutes or so when i wake up, mainly stretching for hip flexors and for my chest as i’ve got slight pectus excavatum. throw in a plank/sideplank and thats done.

then i work 12 hour night shifts and every hour or two will take some time to do pushups, pullups, dips, squats, hanging leg raises and would like to start working on my handstand too. If i had to divide these exercises in two days what would be the best option?

at the moment i’m varying between:

A (2 sets of 15 pushups, 2 sets of 5 pullups, 10 pistol squats per leg(only halfway though)every 1 or 2 hours

and B (2 sets of 7 dips, 10 hanging leg raises(*knee raises), for a third exercise i’m not sure which would be best but mastering the handstand would be great so would like to start practicing that)

is this a good way to divide to two days or would you do it differently? would be great to hear some feedback!

stankanovic

up…

Robby Taylor

Those splits sound fine! You should also incorporate bridging at some point, perhaps when you wake up. I would just find it difficult to consistently take enough time away fromwork to work out so frequently. I mean once every hour or two over 12 hours is at least like 6 times a night. But it’s up to you. Personally I found it better to do a comprehensive workout at home, then do just one or two exercises at work. Like, if all you did in that time was pistol squats and, say, L sits at work, you’d be getting a lot better at those two exercises. What you’re talking about is essentially grease the groove but for like an entire routine. But hey, maybe it is easier for you to maintain and make progress that way, so try your way out for awhile and see how it works for you. But if your progress stalls, consider a more comprehensive training session at home.

stankanovic

thanks for the reply and the good advice. i forgot to mention i do do bridges in my ‘waking up routine’.

well thats the beauty of working nights, lots of free time so i get to play around with it. I think you’re right that focusing on a few exercises would show greater progress but i find i get bored to put in 1 hour or hour and a half exercise in one go, so breaking it up in small chunks makes it more digestible.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.