Advice

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    burtchellr

Hey Al and Robby, I need come advice.

I was rereading through raising the bar and between getting hurt back in January(trying to advance too fast with planche and front lever holds) and seeing a line from the book talking about sticking to basics, I was curious.

I never took time for any basics… I transitioned from weighted strength training to bodyweight fairly quickly. I had some experience with dips and push-ups on trx, pull-ups, and pistols, but now that I’m trying to implement them completely into my training, I’m realizing I never learned them with proper technique and form.

Any tips on where to begin and when to add advanced statics in?

Currently I’m training to drop some body fat I gained while I was out with a ripped rotator cuff, but my program is/was as followed:

Mon/thurs: strength
    A) Handstand progression: forearm stand- 3x30second
    B1) tucked front lever: 3x10sec
    B2) crane( straight arm from) 3x10sec
    C1) elevated pike push-ups. 3×4-8rep
    C2) jackknife chin/pull-up 3×4-8rep
    C3) beginner shrimp 3×4-8rep
    D1) tucked l-sit 3×12-60sec
    D2) wheel(backbend). 3×12-60sec

Tues/Friday strength/endurance/hypertrophy
    A) Handstand progression: forearm stand- 3x30second
    B1) tucked front lever: 3x10sec
    B2) crane( straight arm from) 3x10sec
    C1) push-up or dip variation. 3×10-15
    C2) Horizontal pull/skin the cat. 3×10-15 (4-8 skin the cat)
    C3) step up, lunge, jump variations 3×10-15rep
    D1) lying leg raises. 3×12-20rep
    D2) reverse leg raises, cobra, superman. 3×12-20rep

Every 3-4 weeks I drop down to 3 days a week to allow some recovery and deload and do 2 sets.

Should I take the statics, other than l-sit and wheel, out and replace them with dynamic movements to better prepare my body for the advanced holds?

Robby Taylor

That’s not a terrible idea, actually. The wheel (bridge?), in both my and Al’s opinion, is a crucial basic element for the bodyweight athlete. As for the L-sit, it’s often suggested that if you build up to a 30 second hold, it will set a strong foundation for front lever and planche training.

I would also recommend doing a good amount of Australian pull ups. Not only is this one of the most fundamental pulling exercises you can do, but it is a great low intensity exercise to help build stability in the shoulder pulling muscles and rotator cuff.

Al Kavadlo
    Keymaster

I recommend getting to at least 40 bodyweight squats, 30 push-ups, 20 hanging knee raises and 10 pull-ups with perfect form before you concern yourself with more advanced moves. Once you can do that, then start slowly working through the more advanced progressions. Take your time – there is no finish line in fitness! 🙂

burtchellr

Awesome thank you both for the advice!
    Robby: yes I meant bridging. I took up yoga to help with mobility and flexibility last month, and now I just refer to it as wheel pose. Also, on days I don’t do bridging I work on wall scorpion holds.

Al: Thank you for the tips for reps!
    One question on the pull ups and hanging knee raises. How do you keep your chest out at the top portion on the pull? I always seem to feel like I’m collapsing no matter how much I roll my shoulders down and back.

On the knee raises, I always see ppl just hanging with severe shoulder elevation. Are these done with neutral, elevated, or depressed scapula?

Al Kavadlo
    Keymaster

Keep working your pull-ups – they will get better in time!

For the hanging knee raises, try to keep your scapula engaged.

burtchellr

Awesome, thank you Al for the tips. I took out the advanced statics and started working on increasing my reps for the time being until I reach some of those pre reqs you suggested.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.